Wednesday, October 26, 2011

News and A Side

Things have been quite hectic with keeping up with my "occupation" as a student this fall. Papers, exams, discussions, professor meet ups; the works. So again, I apologize for the random pop of these blog posts that will follow. Anyways...on with this post!!! There has been quite a commotion or talk of something that has been going on here in NY. I am sure many of you reading this would know what I am writing about.....drum roll....(come on you know it): Yep, it's Occupy (you can click on the link if you don't know). From what I can gather on their website, this movement has been going on since September 17, 2011 with the idea in mind of fighting against the "power of major banks and multinational corporations over the democratic process" and other things. It started as a small group and after a certain amount of time, gained enough momentum to make it into a global movement. I would think this would be a good example of one of those social domino effect phenomena my sociology professor would discuss in class. 
But regardless of that,  many people are currently going to these "demonstrations" and staying for days and I MEAN days with signs, food, and other objects. It is just brimming with people on computers, with cameras, with instruments, with fliers, stands, handouts, stickers, signs. I say that last sentence with the actual weight of the experience of walking into this demonstration and experiencing first hand what Occupy Wall Street is.
 I went there this past Tuesday and I just couldn't believe it. It was just brimming with people scattered but still clumped into one space. News reporters from channel 11 and other networks were walking in there looking around where exactly to start their news report. People were chatting and eating food from paper plates. There were flags out and a slideshow of historical images being played on some sort of fabric. People were singing and a priest was saying prayers.
So much was going on at the same time things were happening. For me it was amazing to watch. I for one am glad I found Occupy that day because I have been wanting so much to see this for myself instead of hearing it on the TV or reading it in some newspaper
Now you wonder why am I blogging about this:
Well...there are people who write and talk about these demonstrations in the question of whether it is just people ranting and complaining or is this something serious to think and talk about. 
So along with those words, it brings me to type the following announcement:
for the weeks that follow I will be attempting to interview and capture what Occupy Wall Street is from the perspective of the people who are in it. I want to inform you, the reader, what Occupy is, not from my perspective but directly from the people who are participating in it. I will be posting videos and hopefully the interviews I will be conducting on my visits to the locations in which the Occupy Wall Street demonstrations are at. It will give you the reader, the chance to figure out your opinion from what I have given you through photos, video, and hopefully voice recordings without the oppressive force of my opinion. Because at the end of the day, your knowledge of things are more important to me than what I want to rant about. 


Til Next Blog post,
Miss Bobo

No comments:

Post a Comment