Thursday, September 22, 2011

To Death Penalty or No Death Penalty

(First of all I want to apologize for the irregularity of my blog posts. Of course, as many of you who are reading, I myself have a lot on my plate but nothing that can prevent me from writing to you. So onward with the show.)
Things nowadays are getting intense that right now I can't even start this blog post with something random/funny. I don't know if this is all over the news but recently a man by the name Troy Davis was executed after an intervention and what seems to me, a few hold ups in the case where he supposedly was accused of a crime he really didn't commit. Reading this article, I had so much in my head that I am going to share it with you here.
Troy and his mother
First of all, let me just say that I find the concept of the death penalty to be quite a contradiction in itself especially when it is bound by such important documents as The Declaration of Independence and the Constitution that emphasize ideas like the right to "the pursuit of happiness" or the right to believe and say whatever you deem fit. People get trialed for committing murders but then get sentenced to be done the same act they are being punished for. To me that already sounds like a hypocritical concept. Why should a man or a woman get "executed" like an insect or an object for something they are already paying time for behind bars?

 What is even more bothersome to me is the fact that Troy Davis, a human being just like the rest of us was "executed" for a crime that was later found to NOT be his responsibility. I am not imagining this: the article says it:
          "Davis was executed for the 1989 murder of Mark MacPhail, who was working off duty as a security guard when he intervened to help a homeless person being attacked. Davis was implicated by another man, Sylvester Coles, present at the time. But since the trial seven of the key witnesses have come forward to say their evidence was wrong, and others have testified under oath that Coles was the killer."
 With such words as this, I come up with so many questions. Why do we allow things like this to happen? Why do people justify killing another person who very well might be like Travis: innocent?
I don't comprehend why people vote for politicians who support such hypocritical and destructive legislatures that in the end break apart families. It bothers me that many people read this and go along with their day not bothering to weigh in the fact that consequences to actions such as these can in turn affect their lives. Who knows, their brother, their mother, or even them can get caught in something that might not be exactly their fault. Unfortunately, they could be there at the wrong time and at the wrong moment and before you know it their life would be one step from being "executed." At the end of the day, it is you who decides whether the death penalty is correct, we both know what side I stand anyway. 


Til next blog post,
Miss Bobo

No comments:

Post a Comment